Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's good to be back home!!

This week was rough, and I mean rough!   I started out Sunday by getting all my stuff ready for our Admin Conference at the Chateau Laurier. The event was 4 days and 3 nights at the hotel.  In the past I could have gotten away with one suit case, this trip was 4 bags total.  My main suitcase had all of my clothes and an extra coat with snow pants etc..  After all I was going to be 2 minutes away from the Rideau Canal and Winterlude. My 2nd suitcase consisted of my food and drinks..   I had no idea what to pack as we don't have a stove or microwave in our rooms.   I had cereal, milk, oatmeal, granola bars and some junk, yes JUNK!  I had a bag of sun chips, 2 monster energy drinks, a 26er of spiced rum, a 2 litre of diet Pepsi, and some coke zero's.  My 3rd bag was my goodie bag, Ipod arm band, ear buds, 2 pairs of runners, shorts and a t-shirt, so basically my running gear, why not the hotel has a gym.

Monday was a short day at work 9:45am to 3pm, check in at the hotel was 3:30pm. During the day at work we were getting the garage storage ready for a clean up and disposal.  Marc, Ben and myself brought some printers into the storage. On the way back we were all kinda excited about going to the hotel. So of course I start acting like a little kid...  On the way back from the garage to the basement is a ramp that goes down..  Ramp Sloped Down + Cart = Tony on the cart going down...  That was fun until my front left tire blew out and pulled my cart into the wall or should I say steel railing.  The only problem is that my left knee connected with the railing. It hurt like a SOB.  I walked it off and it was fine, so I thought... During the conference if I kept my leg in the same position for an extended amount of time it felt like my knee was frozen like that, as soon as I moved it, I was in some pain. If I got up too go walk, I was walking with a limp.

So off too the hotel we go!

It's amazing how limited you are when it comes to being in a hotel that charges you $9 for a bottle of water and $33 for a plain old breakfast.   The only good thing that we had was the Rideau Centre was a 4 minute walk. We had an hour and a half for lunch so allot of us ended up going there. The first day wasn't too bad, I had a 12" Veg sub from subway. I felt like being adventurous and got the combo with a soft drink and the chocolate chunk cookies. On the 2nd day I hit A and W,  teen burger with a A and W root beer and fries,, Roughly 1000 calorie meal :(   On the way back I stopped in at the LCBO to pick up some more rum as I almost didn't have any left in my other bottle.  As soon as 5pm hit when our workshops finished, some co-workers started to call me and text me with the same thing "Hey man where are you? It's miller time"  I went to my room and debated on running with my sore knee, so I got undressed, threw on my running gear and went down too the gym in the hotel. Not too shabby, they had 4 treadmills with TVs built on them.  I hopped on the treadmill and started walking to warm up for about 3 minutes once that was done I brought up my speed to about 8km an hour. Bang bang bang, WTF?  I thought the treadmill was going to break... Forget this, So I proceed to another treadmill, turn it on and go to turn on the TV.... broken...  Alright time to hit treadmill #3 this was the last one as the 4th one was being used.. Get on, turn on the TV and set the speed to around 9km/h. This one was banging when I would land..  I'm like "Oh my god, what the hell is wrong with these things?  These are the same treadmills as the gym in Buckingham have and feel like I'm running on something that's going to split in two!"  I moved back abit on the actual belt and the banging went down a few decibels.. Thank god.  27:30 and I was done my 5km, Just over 300 calories burnt. 

Once I got back to my room, I took off my shoes and noticed the my middle toe on my right foot was black. I had no clue what happened?   I told my friend Julie about it and she said that maybe my runners are getting too small from wear and tear.  3 days later and my toe nail is coming back to it's color. Next time I go for a run, I'll use my other shoes and see if anything happens. If it does happen again, I'll take my girlfriends advice and go get it checked out.


So I'm back home after a 12,000 calories 4 days at the hotel... I am so glad that I don't travel all the time, I'd be back at 210lbs in no time.  One of the downfalls of hotels is that you are very limited on your food, it so out of your control and you have to make the right decisions and try to eat healthy. 


I finally made it home and wow did I ever miss my bed! Even though I slept in it alone, I was still looking forward too it!!  Friday night I picked up Jeremy from School and we hit Canadian tire for a socket set and then Metro and Maxi for some groceries. It felt good knowing that I had healthy food at the end of my fingertips!!   I think everything is back on schedule and I can get back to my healthy eating. Last night Jeremy and I had 3 chicken fingers each with some corn and green beans.. After we ate that, I didn't eat for the rest of the night, I weighed myself this morning and my hotel stay cost me around 4lbs of weight gain... 4lbs in a few days is ridiculous, but it can happen!!  Today Jeremy, Aaron and myself are going up to the nature museum in Ottawa to see the dinosaurs, and then it will be off too Catherine's for some yummy food!! Maybe I'll sneak a run on her treadmill while I'm there. I think I'll have enough exercise walking around the museum. 

Another week has come and gone and I can't believe valentines day is in a few days!!  Enjoy your weekend folks and get those exercise minutes logged!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see that you are still eating, the weight gain is probably due to alcohol consumption, it will drop off easy. As for me, I am walking 1.5 miles in the morning and at night, weigh-ins is satisfactory and I am eating healthy. No alcohol for me, just water and a diet coke... I must always talk to myself in making the right decision. I can't wait till the day to come, that all will be natural to me. Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete